Effects of Poor Wast Management on Society, People, and Economy
Humans daily engage in activities that they think will enhance their life without pausing to think about the harm these activities cause to the natural environment.
You see, man abuses land as a commodity that belongs to him, but if man could see the earth as a community he belongs to, he would learn to treat it with more love and respect.
We must understand that creating order in the social environment should be secondary while order in the natural environment must remain primary!
"There's enough for every man's need but not for every man's greed"
~ Mahatma Gandhi
At Fierce Hazel, we are committed to not adding more waste to the planet, and we believe you are too. Together, we have the power to reduce the massive waste problem affecting our ecosystem by investing in quality pieces and supporting sustainable designers.
Fierce Hazel creates sustainable products by giving new life to rescued materials. We use fabric remnants and factory deadstock in creative ways in order to make our bags durable and highly functional.
What Is Waste Management?
Waste management refers to all methods and processes of dealing with waste at every stage from generation and collection through to final disposal. Trash needs to be managed appropriately to prevent contact with humans or negative impacts on their immediate environment.
According to the UN 2019 report, the global industrial waste management market was USD 1,249.64 billion in 2018 and is expected to reach USD 2,513.74 billion by 2025, growing at a CAGR of 10.5% in 2019 and 2025.
- Climate Change: According to the Global Climate report of 2017, harmful greenhouse gases are created from decomposing waste and causing climate change and changed in the weather. The gases rise up to the atmosphere and trap heat, adversely causing extreme weather reactions in the form of strong storms and typhoons.
- How else are we impacted? Well, apart from temperature, the level of precipitation in the air is also drastically affected. From acid rain to severe hail storms or global warming – everything is fair game at present. This also spreads out into other areas with regards to subdivisions such as thermal and radioactive pollution.
- Danger to Animal and Marine Life: about 80% of solid waste materials find their way to the water bodies emptying into the ocean and threatening marine life. The inevitable formation of algal bloom and clusters contaminates and eventually suffocates marine life such as coral and fish. Consumption of fishing lines, cigarette butts, plastic bottles, and Styrofoam can kill millions of marine lives each year.
- Human Damage: a majority of the human population where a scientific waste management system is not seen may possess a plan, but there is no disposal area to be found. This predisposes the vulnerable as children, waste disposal workers, and people whose workplaces manufacture or come into contact with waste materials to higher risks.
- Health Problems: Many human infections are spread through contact with waste as human excreta. Bacteria, viruses, protozoa, and parasitic worms cause many diseases that are spread by direct contact with feces or indirectly via contaminated food and soil. These different types of pathogens or infectious agents. Diseases may also be transmitted through a carrier organism or vector. Contact with waste also causes skin irritation and blood infections.
Effects on the Economy
- Soil and land contamination
- Water contamination
- Air contamination
- Increase in disease-carrying pests
- Adversely effect on the local economy
- Loss of livelihoods for locals and artisans
Benefits of Good Waste Management
- Cleaner, Safer, Healthier Environment
- Reduction in Pollution and its Effects
- Energy Conservation
- Helping young people make a difference in society
- Employment Creation
We need to understand that whatever doesn't add value is waste and must be avoided. According to Thomas Love Peacock "The waste of plenty is the resource of scarcity." How are you managing your waste?
Today, the mechanized man is capable of defacing the sun despite its hotness, were it close and within man's reach, just to satisfy his quest for pleasurable comfort even to the detriment of his neighbor.
Photos: BrianYurasits, Michael Higgins
Sign up for our newsletter
Stay connected with Fierce Hazel and sign up for our newsletter to be the first to know of new posts, news & promotions.